Wyoming Sex Offender Registry Laws

sex offender laws

Under Wyoming law, if a person commits certain sexual offenses, they must register on Wyoming's sexual offender registry.

The sex offender registry is a public database that contains a list of all sex offenders residing in Wyoming required to register with the state.

If you are convicted of a sexual offense or have questions about sex offender registration, you should contact a qualified Wyoming criminal defense attorney right away. 

Who Must Register for Wyoming's Sex Offender Registry?

Under Wyoming Statute 7-19-302, any sex offender residing, attending school, or working in Wyoming must register with the Sheriff in the county where they reside.

Registrable sexual offenses include any of the offenses listed in the statute, such as:

  • Sexual abuse of a minor,
  • Possession of child pornography,
  • Taking obscene photos or videos of a child,
  • Sexual assault of a minor,
  • Soliciting sexual relations with a minor, and
  • Sexual exploitation of a minor.

Sex offenders must also register for certain federal offenses or sexual offenses in other states that are similar to those under Wyoming law. 

What Does Sex Offender Registration Look Like?

If someone is convicted of one of the registerable sexual offenses, they must immediately register with the Sheriff's department in the county where they reside.

Individuals arrested and confined for a sexual offense in Wyoming after July 1, 1999, and sentenced after January 1, 1985, must register before being released from custody.

If the person is arrested but not required to serve any jail time, they must register immediately after sentencing. If a person convicted of a registerable offense enters Wyoming, the offender must register with the county within three days of arrival in the state.

To register, the offender must be:

  • Photographed,
  • Fingerprinted, and
  • Palmprinted.

The offender must also provide the following information to the Sheriff's office:

  • Name,
  • Address,
  • Date and place of birth,
  • Social security number,
  • Place and physical address of employment,
  • Date and place of conviction,
  • Crime for which they were convicted,
  • The name and address of any school they are attending,
  • License plate number and a description of the vehicle,
  • A DNA sample,
  • The age of each victim,
  • Email address, and
  • Phone numbers.

If the offender changes their address, they must notify the law enforcement agency in the new county within three days of moving. In addition, the offender must notify law enforcement if they plan to leave the country, and they must provide a travel itinerary. 

What Does It Mean to Be Registered?

If someone registers on Wyoming's sex offender registry, any member of the public can access their registered information, including the offender's:

  • Name,
  • Physical address,
  • Date and place of birth,
  • Crime for which he was convicted,
  • Photograph,
  • Physical characteristics,
  • Employer's address, and
  • School address.

For certain offenses, the law enforcement agency must provide notice of the registration to any neighbors who live within at least 750 feet of the offender's residence. Schools, religious organizations, and youth groups within 750 feet must also receive notice. 

What Happens If Someone Doesn't Register?

Failing to register as a Wyoming sex offender carries serious penalties, including large fines and jail time.

A person who knowingly fails to register as a sex offender faces punishment, including:

  • Fines of up to $1,000 and
  • Up to five years in prison.

A second offense includes:

  • Fines up to $1,000 and
  • Up to ten years in prison.

Failing to pay required fees is also punishable as a misdemeanor with penalties including a $750 fine and up to six months in county jail. 

How Can I Get Off the Sex Offender Registry?

If someone is convicted of a registerable sex offense, normally, the offender must register on Wyoming's sex offender registry for the rest of their life.

However, under some circumstances, Wyoming law allows registered sex offenders to petition the court to remove their name from the sex offender registry.

For less serious sexual offenses, such as third-degree sexual abuse of a minor or possession of child pornography, an offender could remove their name from the registry if the offender:

  • Has been registered for at least ten years, and 
  • Has maintained a clean record by avoiding arrest and completing all required probation and parole.

For more serious sexual offenses, such as sexual assault or first-degree sexual abuse of a minor, the offender can request to remove their name if the offender:

  • Has been registered for at least 25 years and
  • Has maintained a clean record for all 25 years.

The court will review the facts and decide whether to grant the sex offender’s petition. 

How a Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help

If you qualify to remove your name from the sex offender registry, you must go through a complicated petition process with the court.

Before you can file a petition, you must:

  • Serve the petition to the court and the prosecuting attorney,
  • Prove your registration for the required time period,
  • Prove your clean record, and
  • Defend your petition if the prosecutor files a response.

If the prosecutor files a response, the judge will hold a hearing to decide your case. These hearings require specialized knowledge of the law and familiarity with legal theory and argument.

If you lack legal experience, this can be a daunting and stressful experience. A qualified Wyoming defense attorney can help alleviate that stress and increase the likelihood that the judge will approve your petition.

Contact a Qualified Wyoming Criminal Defense Attorney Today

The attorneys at Cowboy Country Criminal Defense fight aggressively for our client's interests. We understand how painful and harmful sex offender registration can be. We will provide you strong legal representation and work to protect your interests.

Our experienced sex crimes staff will answer your questions and guide you every step of the way. For a free consultation, contact our offices or call at 307-333-7884 today to get started.